Wednesday 31 December 2008

2009 in 7 hours

This time last year I was driving back from the boyfriend's family home in Suffolk where I'd spent the day walking along the beach in tears, stressed and dreading the night ahead.

Exactly twelve months on I took myself off to one of my favourite places in London, wrapped in a huge scarf twice my size, to the Portobello Road. I walked along the rows of terraced multi-coloured houses, passing George Orwell's old residence and all the antique shops (mostly closed), dropping in and out of the boutiques and strange trinket shops; then I turned around and walked back, picking up a hot chocolate for the tube ride home.

I needed time to myself to think but didn't want the hoards of Bond Street shoppers getting in the way, I was feeling low and needed the kind of company which doesn't barge you out the way or insist that you laugh and talk.

I'm not sure why I'm feeling down - or rather I do, but I can't pinpoint exactly what the problem is - but I've got about 7 hours before it's a New Year and time to start afresh.

So I'm going to get changed, put some heels on, meet my friends and party on down - toast in the new year with a shot of tequila in the dingey bar we're heading to...and hope that tomorrow, all I have on my mind is a hangover.

Happy New Year, everyone...

6 comments:

Mouldy-Old-Tartlet said...

I always thought New Year's Eve was a funny time anyway ... over the top happy & celebratory on the one hand (although what the ruddy hell for as no-one gives a rat's arse when Big Ben strikes midnight at any other time of the year) and slightly sad on the other (when you reflect on things past and people gone).

I think the only answer is to down as much New Year's Eve booze as possible and before you know it it will all be over.

Happy New Year Jo! :)

Anonymous said...

All the best for the New Year Jo. You've got so much going for you, I can't see 2009 being anything but blinking super duper for you!

The Unbearable Banishment said...

Despite your downcast mood, you've just described what would be, for me, a perfect afternoon/evening. So…what’s it like living my fantasy? Enjoying it, I hope? Happy New Year, Jo.

Soup said...

It's a time of reflection as much as for looking forward, so your walk probably did you the world of good. I hope you had a more cheerful evening and feel positive about a new year. A lot has changed for you over the past year, that much we can tell from the little glimpses we get of your life from your blog. May 2009 bring you lots of laughter and happiness, and more badly dressed people on the tube and hilarious tales to share with us :) x

pink jellybaby said...

I hope 2009 is a better year for you. xx

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Jo, I hope 2009 kicks arse for you! x

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - RSS icons by ComingUpForAir