Sunday 5 July 2009

A short, slightly freaky ad break

When I signed up to this Evian campaign thing, it wasn't just a matter of giving a shameless plug and gushing about the wonders of drinking bottled water. It's about opinions, which as you'll probably have gathered by now, I have rather a lot of. They want an honest opinion on their new advert which seems to have a slight fascination with babies. Babies that dance. Babies with A.D.D and a generous helping of speed.

But here's the thing I don't get. You know when you watch an advert for five minutes on TV, then at the end of it you turn to the person next to you and go "What the hell was that about?" - that's kind of what I reckon to this one. This advert doesn't make me want to go and buy a bottle of water; the thirsty part of my brain does that. No, this advert makes me want to hide behind the sofa with my hands over my eyes, yelling "Make the freaky babies go away". It's like a minute long remake of the film 28 Days Later, except this time the zombies are nappy-clad infants on rollerskates. Shudder.

And that, I suspect, will be the last time any marketing company asks for my opinion on their advert.



8 comments:

Robbie said...

Yeah I dont get it. Really weird those adverts.
Some of those "out of the box" ones are cool but that just freaks me out.
I also dont like the viral-ness of them, reminds me a bit of 2002 (???), when the dancing baby/Ally McBeal first made the rounds.

Cant all water adverts just be like that one with the talking dino-pupet? That was genius!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9Xs1Y3B5lA
"Hello Tyrannosaurus Alan."

(Didnt realise you sold out to "The Man" Josephine! I hope there isn't too much product placement here.)

The Author Of This said...

It's like Cliff Richard's video for Wired For Sound. Which is rather concerning in itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcSwOwtyVHA

Brennig said...

Christ, that's nightmare material.

Mouldy-Old-Tartlet said...

I'm with you. Down with the freakily animated babies.

Please Don't Eat With Your Mouth Open said...

Robbie - Yeah thats what I thought. Honda always seem to get it spot on, but this just seems a little bit wide of the mark. It's all very 2002, old hat now. We all know computers can make a baby dance.

And there's no selling out here, no product placement, just purely 'here's our ad, tell us what you think'. To which I say "Gladly. It's rubbish"

All mod - That is bloody weird. Get it out of my sight!

Brennig - 9pm watershed needs to be in place I feel. Exorcist stylee...

MOT - here here! Down with the babies! Down with the babies! Ahem.

je_suis_hannah said...

is this advert onbn british tv? I saw a link in a usa blog and the babies freaked me out a little. It doesn't make me want to go and buy water..it just makes me want to run away

Anonymous said...

I watched this for eighteen seconds before I HAD to press stop. Within the first three seconds (when the baby taps its foot on the ground) I was freaked out.

this is the weirdest, most pointless and unnecessary advert since... a while.

Tell em, Jo.

Please Don't Eat With Your Mouth Open said...

Miss H - I don't know what they're going to do with it to be honest. Hopefully confine it to the section of a "ARGHHH, NO, GET IT AWAY FROM ME!" marketing archive

blueskies - It was the manic grins that got me. All that flipping and jumping, it's just not natural.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - RSS icons by ComingUpForAir