Sunday 15 March 2009

It's that time again

In 3 weeks, unemployment will beckon me to it's sunny shores once again.

I am looking forward to the end of my most recent boring admin job at the Little School of Horrors, whilst simultaneously dreading the next. Because it's inevitable - I will finish whinging about this job, then find another one; all the while lamenting the fact that administrative positions, whilst financially viable and easy on the brain, suck absolute crab-ridden donkey balls.

But as long as I'm propping myself up with these temporary, mind numbing jobs where helping other people reach their goals is the main objective, that means I'm ignoring what I want to do: see things, go places, write about them and get paid for it.

Until I throw myself in at the deep end, put myself in the position where I have to work hard at it and get my first byline, it's just not going to happen. I've got an internship which has already given me the groundings, the confidence and the contacts to get started. I've researched and written articles for some big national newspapers, websites and magazines: it's just not under my name yet. I'm under the wing of a successful freelancer who gets paid to travel, write, make films and document his experiences, who takes me along to meetings and introduces me to editors and PRs. I'm not one of 50, I don't have to trek into London for no pay, I don't do filing in a dingy office and get handed the jobs that no one else wants to do. So far, the internship has been a couple of days a week, we communicate by phone, email and I go over to his for feedback and meetings once a week, meaning that have still been able to keep a paid job on the days I'm not needed.

I'm going to make a bold decision, and it's going to be really really bloody hard to keep because secretarial work is my comfort zone when it comes to jobs and above all, I like having money in my pocket. The decision is that when this job ends, this job which I'm so sick of and bored brainless doing: shuffling paper, photocopying and making sure everyone else gets to where they want to be, I'm not going to look for another admin job. It doesn't sound like a big step, but it kind of is for me, because it means I've got to actually put myself out there and make writing - travel writing - my career.

No more secretary, PAing and jobs "just to tide me over". A recession is not a great time to make money, which means it's a bloody good time to work for free. I hope.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck!! :D

kels said...

Based on everything I've read on your blog so far I have every confidence in you. You've kept me entertained and you'll be amazing, good luck!!!

The Unbearable Banishment said...

There’s something to be said for jobs that are financially viable and easy on the brain. It leaves you the time and, more importantly, cash to follow more interesting pursuits. But I disagree with you. Leaving that zone sounds like a HUGE step. It’s akin to jumping off a window ledge and hoping the fire brigade is holding a taunt net below you.

Grump said...

Is the travel writing like 'Lonely Planet'?
The very best of luck with your career change.
x

Please Don't Eat With Your Mouth Open said...

Thanks PJB!

Pinkyvonne - I wish I could just get paid to blog, now that would be cool. ;)

Unbearable - Yeah you're right about it giving me the cash and the time, but ultimately my brain is dying. I dont want to have a really shit job and just be living for the weekends and holidays. I want to enjoy it all! Too much to ask? Probably, but worth a try eh!

Grump - Yeah Lonely Planet, travel magazines like Conde Nast, or when you open the broadsheet newspapers on a weekend and all the supplements fall out, full of beautiful pictures and articles where some lucky bugger has been paid to go out to a hotel, resort or country, try everything out then write about it. That's what it's about :)

weenie said...

It's a huge and difficult but brave step when you walk away from your comfort zone. The thing to remember is that you're not on your own (although at times it will feel like it) - friends and family will be around for support. Good luck!

Grump said...

I'll carry your suitcase for you. x

MsFreshBananaPuddin said...

almost as painful as my last post, but thanks I feel that much more better.hey when you grow weary of admin jobs, there is always room being a customer service rep :)

Brennig said...

Oi! Tell me about this working for free malarky.

AFC 30K said...

you know your mum is going to try and pursude you in to teaching again don't you!

Tabby said...

You are a fantastic writer - I know you can do it! Sometimes it takes being pushed out of your comfort zone to prompt you to make a change, so it's probs fate that this current job came to an end. Good luck :o)

jo said...

that's a really brave thing... all the best!!

Please Don't Eat With Your Mouth Open said...

Weenie - Friends and family will probably get quite bored of me hanging around the house all day, but i'm sure they'll be supportive in their own way ;)

Grump - Thanks, I hope you have strong arms.

MsPuddin - Hmmmm...I think I might pass on that one ;)

Brennig - Tell you what about working for free? You offer your services, and ask for no payment. Done :-D

AFC - I think that ship has well and truly sailed. Wild horses couldn't drag me back into a school ever again.

Tabby - Fate, and me telling my mum in no uncertain terms that there is noooo way I'm working a day over my contracted time. You can be fairly blunt when your mum's the boss.

jo - Thank you m'dear.

Grump said...

I have started at my local gym, pumping iron and lifting weights. Just call me the incredible hulk. Ready and willing. x

Anonymous said...

Oh no, I don't underestimate how brave the step is. I did much the same thing - and I have NEVER regretted it for one second, honestly! I wasn't bored as such - just fed up with working for others and well, actually I was a bit bored of seeing the same old farts and listening to them moaning about the same old things and different students every year all thinking they were different and quirky but all the same as the ones we had the previous year.

So yeah - embrace your freedom and run with your ideas. I have every faith in you.

And there's always teaching to fall back on . . .

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - RSS icons by ComingUpForAir