Friday, 25 July 2008

I did that thing

Tonight a car pulled up outside my house. Unusual, as I live in a cul de sac. I went close enough to the window so that I could see out, but they couldn't see in.

The car's passenger appeared to be looking up at the house. Then they saw me having a good old nose.

I thought "Oh, look. That's David and Sue, I wonder what they're doing here. Dad's not in, mum's away, probably dropping something round."

So I gave "Sue" a wave and a smile.

"Sue" waved and smiled back.

I went downstairs ready to receive the guests and put my pasta on so they would know I was cooking and thus wouldn't be inclined to stay long.

And waited.

After a couple of minutes, I decided to go and check out of another window.

"Sue" and "David" were greeting the occupants of another car who had also parked up.

I squinted a bit.

Nope. That woman who waved and smiled at me definitely wasn't Sue.

And come to think of it, the smile was more of a grimace that discretely hid the words "Darling, do we know anyone who lives in that house? A girl in the top room is waving and smiling at me rather enthusiastically"

You know what, if I was her, I wouldn't have waved.

6 comments:

The Suicidal Goldfish said...

Wow, I'm pretty sure you're my deity or something!!!

Just stumbled on your blog and you're someone with equal loathing of idiots.

Huzzah indeed!

London-Lass said...

Oof. How embarrassing. Similar to the times I used to think some guy was approaching me in a pub to .. you know .. `chat me up' ... and I'd be all smiling & waving back at him as he approached ... and then would realise that he'd actually been gesturing to a mate (or girlfriend) of his behind me. *cringe*

cynicalscribble said...

When my uncle (lets call him uncle knobhead), was driving through a busy street he would beep his horn and wave. He didn't know anyone, he just knew people would wave back...and they did, lots of them. Fools! It was quite funny though, most people don't like to be rude so wave back.
Or in london-lasses case, quickly abort the wave and scratch the back of your head. We've all done that :)

Please Don't Eat With Your Mouth Open said...

hello suicidal goldfish. that's quite an unusual name you've got there. welcome to my idiot loathing funtime house.

lass - it's times like that you need to have a comedy pair of very large rimmed specs to throw on by way of explanation!

cynical - Yessss, oh the old "I'm waving, no, I'm scratching" lark. I've done that soooo many times.

Although last night in a bar someone walked up to me, waved and kind of pointed at me in an "i know you" kind of way, and I just stared blankly and furrowed my eyebrows at them. Then i walked off. Charmer...

theperpetualspiral said...

Ah ha, the old wave/scratch move. There have been many times when I have had to call on that one myself.

Mjohnson said...

Your whole posts aren't making it through to my feedreader!

It stopped at the bit with the waving. What's happened?

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - RSS icons by ComingUpForAir