Monday, 5 May 2008

Reality check

I'm a half member (ie. too tight to pay for full membership) of this website which sends you emails about media / production jobs. This one came through the other day and it just made me laugh...you gotta rate these guys on their honesty. If anyone has ever considered being a runner in TV, this is the real deal, this is what you'll be doing. And I have the most amount of respect for anyone who can do it with a smile on their face because it's a hard slog for not much dosh, and as you'll see, the things I have to do in my, more office based job, frequently overlap with this description. The runners on the programme I work on are unflappable and willing to do anything - but even they've started to wilt towards the end of the series; getting fed up with constantly being...


The Running Dishpig

About the job:


Ok. The ad's been up and we've had waitresses, actresses, drama queens, ... queens and Warhammer heroes. We love a colourful mix, we really do, and you don't have to be industry-worn but we REALLY need know you're the one for us!


A word of advice to those of fresh from the university pot: A generic, half-baked or half-arsed cover letter just isn't going to get anyone sweaty in all the right places.We want people who are dead keen and have demonstrated a good work ethic - outside of university!Oh and actually knowing who we are and what we do isn't a bad idea. In fact, why would you apply otherwise?!


Lastly, let's see some creative sparks out there! We've read nearly a hundred CVs so far and few have stood out from the crowd. Make us WANT to meet you!So, if you think you've got what it takes, read on...


So, you wanna be a runner? Do you love cleaning dishes that aren't your own? Do you dream of the smell of copy toner, late nights and counting stock? Cross-city errands and shopping for other people tickle your fancy?Well, if you're nodding along, we like the cut of your jib!We're not looking for a just a runner. We're looking for a realist. It's not all wardrobe, castings, glamorous shoots and celebrities. It's paper, bleach and a computer screen.


The job STINKS! But in a good way!


We make the best stuff and our runner team are the coolest kicks in the cave.Want in?Well, can you climb a greasy pole?It takes grit and determination, confidence and humility, an unshakable sense of humour and the ability to appreciate a good queue when you see one!Most important of all, it takes patience. A LOT OF IT!Oh and if you know your way around a PC, a Mac, Premiere / Final Cut, Photoshop and Encore that'd be pretty damn good!


Region: London


Salary: 15k


And that, in a nutshell, is why I'm going to move away from TV when this series ends and I'm cut free. It's been an experience. It's been fun..but if I have to start at the bottom, I'm going to start at the bottom of a ladder that I actually want to climb. I've been lucky to come in to the TV industry a slight rung above Running Dishpig level, but even so...I've found it hard to keep my cool and do my best here when there's no end point that I really want to aim for.
Sometimes you just need a goal to work towards and I need to put my masters to at least some good use. TV dishpig just don't cut it...

10 comments:

theperpetualspiral said...

What are you going to do once you're done at the top secret beeb show?

Please Don't Eat With Your Mouth Open said...

Become a world famous hippo trainer.

Maybe.

London-Lass said...

So does that mean that when you've LEFT the SECRET TV PROGRAMME, you might be able to actually REVEAL ALL. As you wouldnt be WORKING FOR THEM ANYMORE. So it wouldnt matter if we knew what the SECRET SHOW HAD BEEN ... ?

(just a thought)

Please Don't Eat With Your Mouth Open said...

No way - if I told you all everything, you'd never come back.

(and I could still get in trouble)

surviving myself said...

I think if more jobs posted the real duties, there'd be a lot more happiness in the world.

Hannah said...

Hmmm. I might not add that particular job to the hundreds I currently have application form for.

Please Don't Eat With Your Mouth Open said...

surviving myself - I agree, it's so refreshing to read a job advert which doesn't have 'job speak' in it - and the words "rewarding" and "challenging role"

Hannah - Glad to hear I'm not the only one who fails to equate 'this job stinks' and 'Salary £15k' and not hear WOOOOOYESSHH!!

Clarissa said...

Train a hippo to work as a runner for more than £15K!

Boy said...

That job sounds HORRID. Looking forward to my cosey office job!

Hope the road takes you somewhere interesting :)

Reluctant Blogger said...

haha I rather fancy putting in applications on behalf of a few students of mine. It might get them off their lazy fat arses and make them actually do something.

I'm glad you are planning your escape.

I wonder what you will end up doing next. Teacher I reckon!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - RSS icons by ComingUpForAir