Saturday, 22 December 2007

Public Service Announcement

Everyone seems to be disappearing off for the Christmas period, away from their computers and subsequently, their blogs.

Not me.

In fact, I shall probably be here more than ever. Contrary to the idea that Christmas is the busiest time of the year, here at Jo Central? Not so much.

I don't know where everyone's getting this idea that Christmas is a time to catch up with mates. All mine are tied up with ambiguous sounding "family things", and I don't see head nor tale of them til New Year as a general rule. Similarly, the boyfriend will collect his present and then disappear home for a much anticipated reunion of family, old and young.

My family, on the other hand, are separated by the wonderful thing that is the North / South divide. They are up there, we are down here, and as such we are not obliged to spend Christmas with each other in a 'uncles, aunt-in-laws and grandma round the table' kinda way. After the last few family-intense days for this week's funeral, which, bar the half an hour while the service was carried out and everyone stopped bickering and arguing about who'd had the roughest deal in life, or who-said-what-when, was a horrifically awkward situation to say the least. Hence being immensely glad not to be seated around a table with them all. My parents have always 'done Christmas' by alternating houses with a couple of close family friends. And this is how I like it; the Bollinger is open by 12pm, we open presents, stuff ourselves with food, get increasingly drunk until both males are asleep on one sofa, mouths wide open, mum has disappeared upstairs to 'rest' (sleep, mouth wide open); myself and the remaining guest and I sit with a box of Quality Street and watch the Eastenders Christmas Special. Then she falls asleep and it's just me with a load of crap telly and the dogs for company. Oh, and a few snores here and there. Observe the evidence:

As you can see, I'm often left to my own devices by 8pm and although Miss Pink joined me for a glass (bottle) of champers when I managed to escape home last year, I often wonder why there aren't more bored people willing to depart from the bore of post-dinner-Christmas Day.

As such, in absence of friends to share my boredom with, I shall probably be here. Chuntering away to myself and checking my email for signs of life; rekindling my love with facebook and generally avoiding the snores emitting from the living room. Or dining room, if we don't get that far.
So, contrary to 'See you in the New Year', I'll probably see you tomorrow. Sorry to be so boring and normal, but things are quiet this time of year, after all.

13 comments:

Perpetual said...

Do not fear, I shall also be around too :)

My plans for Christmas currently involve walking the dog, other than that, I'm being very lazy indeed.

James said...

I was also getting the distinct feeling that a lot of people were signing off until the New Year (damn those people only using blogging as a distraction at work) Glad to hear that you will still be providing some entertainment over the coming days.

I was wondering if anyone would actually blog on Christmas Day, maybe you could do some live blogging of the EastEnders xmas special, you might need to fill in some of the back story though as I haven't seen it for years.

Jo said...

Hurrah, hurrah...

Perpetual, dog walking is another activity I shall be engaging in. I shall also be commanding them to jump on the offending sleeping people.

James...a blogging of the Christmas special eh...hmmm...well, there's no chance I could do anything but have my full attention on 'Enders, but I could always blog the repeat at 10pm, BBC3?

Basically, Stacy's been sleeping with Bradley's dad Max, but then she called it off and decided to marry Bradley (dirty minxes)...but on the day of the wedding, Max tried to get it onnnnnnn Luther style with Stacy. Nah though - she wasn't having it but they did have a little snoggywog under the watchful eye of a video camera left there by his daughter Lauren...which has recorded the WHOLE SORDID EPISODE onto the wedding video tape. Thus a family get together on Christmas Day to rekindle the day of wedded bliss will reveal AN AFFAIR...and in short IT WILL KICK OFF!

weenie said...

I haven't watched Eastenders in months and having read your update, seems I haven't missed a thing and the minx is still mixing it between Dad and Lad!

Perpetual said...

I haven't watched Eastenders for about five years and I don't think I've missed anything either!

Miss Understood said...

I may just see you here on Christmas Day. You described Christmas afternoon at my Mum's house perfectly.

If I'm not here, I'll be on Facebook playing scrabble with myself.

Jo said...

Hark at you people who haven't watched Eastenders recently! You're missing out, I promise (why can I never remember if promise is spelt with a c or an s?)

Weenie, she stopped minxing it up for a while but they just went back to the storyline in time for christmas...hurrah for walford christmas ruckus!

perpetual, ahh but you'll probably be watching it anyway, no? ;)

Miss - ohhhh yeah...it's all about the lone scrabble. Although my boyfriend bought Pictionary for my parents this christmas, so now WHO KNOWS what fun we'll be having after dinner...

pink jellybaby said...

Cooo eeee!
Your an Eastenders watcher are you? Well, my first ever boyfriend from primary school will be the new barman in the club on New year's eve!!

Ella said...

In the same way dogs aren't just for Christmas blogging shouldn't just be for alleviating work-related boredom!

I've just to Manchester as The Family are spending Christmas at my sister's. Got here about 5 hours ago and I'm already bored shitless and blogging. Good to know I have company. I shan't be blogging Christmas day as straight after lunch we're shooting back down the M40 to the comfort of the South. Lovely.

weenie said...

I've just to Manchester as The Family are spending Christmas at my sister's. Got here about 5 hours ago and I'm already bored shitless and blogging. Good to know I have company. I shan't be blogging Christmas day as straight after lunch we're shooting back down the M40 to the comfort of the South. Lovely.

I'm flying south tomorrow to spend Christmas with my sis. Boxing Day, I'm heading back to the friendly grey clouds of Manchester - jubbly!

Jo said...

PJB - I am indeed. What you just told me made a little bit of wee come out. Eek.

Ella - Oh god, the motorway on christmas day now that doesn't sound too good. Is it that bad there you simply can't bear to stay the night? ;)Who's the unlucky one who gets to stay sober?

Lapa said...

Feliz Natal. Anyway...

pink jellybaby said...

It's quite exciting...i might even have to watch it...he doesn't lool how he did when we were 6 anymore!! oh nooooooooo!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - RSS icons by ComingUpForAir