Thursday, 19 July 2007

Thirds all round...

Last night was a rather messy, post-graduation-piss-up in the union nightclub, where post-graduates met up to swap results, and give the appropriate congratulatory smiles or commiserations where appropriate. The good thing was that any time you found yourself next to someone you've spoken to once or twice, you had enough conversation to last until someone came over / you finished your drink and could escape. With the smokers banished to the 'smoking area', a zoo-like metal cage attached to the side of the club, it was left to the bottoms and armpits of the partying students to shroud the area with undesirable smells. There's no slipping out a sneaky bottom-burp in a club now folks, those bombs are dropping with force and mingling around like dry ice.
Remember my ex-housemate who got dumped in the middle of exams? He got a 3rd. 'God, your mum must have been pissed off' I said, 'No, she's just happy I got a degree at all'. This puts him, fittingly, in the same realm as our good animated friend, Shrek, whose third installment released a few weeks ago is currently showing around the UK.
Me and the boyfriendiniho were the only two people in the place, and absolutely froze our arses off for 90 minutes ('Did you know screen 7 is absolutely freezing?' 'oh yes, sorry, we're warning people about that now'...helpful for us, ta). It's a shame, because I loved Shrek 1 and 2 and really wanted to like Shrek 3. I wanted to come out with a newfound love for ogers, running about quoting 'I'm a STALLLLION BABY!' and giggling about the in-jokes that the kids wouldn't get. Well no fear of that here. The kids will get all the jokes, I can't see any bit of it that will go over their heads particularly...which is almost what made the first two films so funny. Importantly, the first two are not just watchable, like Shrek the Third, but re-watchable. I can't see me downloading it, let alone buying it...which isn't to say it didn't have me giggling away in parts, but the overall story didn't leave me going 'Tehehe, oh those clever Dreamworks folk! Hooked, I am! Bring on the fourth!'. Safe to say, I think a turning point has been reached; I can't imagine the inevitable Shrek the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th will be hotly anticipated unless the makers bring, not so much something new, but rather something of the old.

Anyway: go and see it, but don't expect fireworks.
Bedtime for Jo.

4 comments:

London-Lass said...

That's weird. I actually rather liked Shrek the Third (although I seem to be the only person on the planet who did). The Chipster thought the same as you .. "Ok ... funny in places ... not really that great though". And as for that poor guy with the exam-dumping thingie .. he did very well to come away with a degree and should be darn proud of himself.

Marika said...

I agree - it was still good, but didn't have the charm of the first two. Won't be buying that on DVD.

Around My Kitchen Table said...

I love the ginger Puss In Boots in Shrek - because he looks just like my cat who, unfortunately, doesn't turn into Antonio Banderas after a day's work!

Drama Queen said...

The only time I have had the cinema to myself was typically when we went to see a horror and I got so freaked out by the lack of company that I want to leave. . .

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - RSS icons by ComingUpForAir