Thursday, 12 June 2008

My cinema trip

Yesss...I went to see Sex and the City. Yesss...the picture on the left is a vague attempt at SATC esque behaviour. Before I rant, let me say I loved the film. I latched onto series 1-6 of SATC about 4 years too late, choosing to watch online (for free) last summer whilst I slaved away on my dissertation alone in Hull, and as with most good TV series, no matter how resolute the ending, they always leave you wanting more. The film satisfied that hunger. Now it's done, dusted, no sequel please. The Hoff, a SATC virgin, thus watching it as a film rather than a series finale, dubbed it 'enjoyable'. And it was..

...apart from...

and oh god, here we are again....

....Why, oh why, oh WHY do they allow food in cinemas? Once again my evening viewing was marred by people who probably aren't even that hungry munching, scrunching and scrabbling their way through popcorn like starved ferrets. Hoff complained she had someone who breathed like Darth Vadar next to her, whilst I was stuck with Godzilla crashing through a popcorn New York in my left and right ear. If I have a complaint about the film therefore, it is that the sound was too quiet. If you're going to eat, eat. But I do not want to hear about it...

Then there's the adverts. Over half an hour of the damn things! It was bound to be busy, so we timed it to get there for the start of the film, 7:30. Except the film doesn't start then, does it?Seriously - either I've been getting to cinemas late previously or they reaaaallly laid on the girl-centred-ad-fest for this show; Veet, Magners Light, Coors Light, Diet this, Flick Chick that, it all got thrown at the female viewing public for an absolute AGE before the actual film started.

A good fun film reminds me why I need to go to the cinema more. But then the uncomfortable proximity to other people, the smells, seemingly extended adverts (35 bloody minutes!!), overpriced water and noisy eaters reminded me why I don't.

13 comments:

James said...

"whit woo laaaaaddddiiiieeessss"

Yes cinemas can be a little annoying. I feel sitting really really close to your telebox and turning the volume up really loud often has the same effect minus the popcorn chomping darth vader impersonator (dependent on who you may or may not be watching it with obviously).

P.s. Where do people watch all these TV series online from? I'm rather miffed this info has passed me by. Feel free to let me in on the secret, I need to watch SATC you see.

Robbie said...

Do you always get dressed up to go the cinema?
I remember when I was a kid my parents always made me dress up nice when going to the cinema. It was almost like we were visint royalty with the amount of effort my mum put in to cleaning us.

I totally agree on the film start times. They should at least put on the ticket or show times (please allow for 30 minutes of adverts). Although theyve been doing it for so long they might be expecting customers to already be aware.

Please Don't Eat With Your Mouth Open said...

PS. That photo wasn't taken on the way to the cinema! I just thought it was a bit sex and the city ish :-D

james - my boyfs just got the biggest tv in the world in his living room so i think that may be the way forward after this...

robbie - see above, pic wasn't taken last night, so no ;) Thing is though, the ads just seemed to go on and on last night...I'll usually come in a bit late to skip the majority of them, but when it's a busy night, you get a crap seat if you get there late. it's so annoying.

theperpetualspiral said...

I cannot stand people eating in the cinema and experience has shown me that people cannot eat quietly either.

A big TV at home is certainly the way to go I think.

fwengebola said...

No. No, no, No. NO!
That film hates men; I'm sure, despite having not seen it (and never going to).

Rachel said...

The film is amazing!! I laughed and cried, quite alot.

In total agreement with the food thing, who needs to eat the biggest tray of nacho's, or a bucket of popcorn? Unessecary, and I always seem to get the person who's got the lot, nacho's, popcorn, sweets and a trough of coke! Grrr!!

Also the incessent chatter at far too loud volume, I had one girl behind me who seemed to think every needed to know every detail of her inane life! If I were a more violent person she would have got a slap!

Please Don't Eat With Your Mouth Open said...

perpetual - either that or marrying the owner of VUE Cinemas might be a good idea!

fwenge - Ahh - a man who is scared of SATC! It doesn't hate men, it just demystifies them!

rachel - Chatterers are the worst. But I don't really mind telling them to shut up because they don't pay to talk. I'd feel a bit bad telling someone to stop eating because they were too noisy and smelt.

surviving myself said...

But Godzilla is so cool!

pinkjellybaby said...

I hate noisy cinema people. I always tell them to 'shut the fuck up' though...

Reluctant Blogger said...

Oh I hate cinemas - for much the same reasons. In fact I hate any situation that brings me into close proximity to people I do not choose to be with - buses, trains. I am very intolerant these days.

Believe me, it's even worse if you have to go and see films aimed at children. I usually try to persuade the boys' father to take them cos I always come out feeling crabby.

Not a Sex and the City girl myself though. Never watched it.

rosiewishes said...

I went to see it last night - the last girl in England, apparently. I loved it!

However, something happened that was more annoying than noisey eating:
Someone decided to answer their phone and have a conversation throughout the last 10minutes of the film!
Who does that??? Multiple people Shhh'd at her, but she ignored it and carried on her conversation!

I guess I'll just have to go and see it again...

London-Lass said...

I'm not an SATC girl but I have caught both the new Indiana Jones and The Happening at the cinema recently .. both of which were filled to the girth with eating people - some of which stepped out halfway through the film for more supplies (obviously keeping their bellies full was more important than watching the film to the end). The ironic thing is that you get told to switch off your phone before the film starts yet encouraged a coupla mins before it begins to grab a refreshment ("You've still got time!"). Grr.

kit lizette said...

Woho!! you ladies looks lush! Did you enjoy it? I only got to see 45 min of it, but that didn't really matter if I'm being honest.

Agree with you on the food thing. The girl/woman next to me stuffed her face with some.. roast beef baguette. smelt like dead cows and illing breath. Boo for food in cinemas.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - RSS icons by ComingUpForAir