Monday, 16 June 2008

Back to black

There was another family death at the weekend. We were expecting it, as my grandma had been ill since the end of last year with cancer of just about everything, but she took a turn for the worse last week and it culminated in her death on Friday. It feels a little strange not having any grandparents left, it feels even stranger having to go through the whole funeral process again just 8 months after the death of my uncle, which in turn was only 10 months after the death of my aunt, both of whom were in their 40s. I am exhausted by death, as are the rest of my family. Tensions are high, words have been said and my mum and her two remaining brothers are feuding. It seems likely that the events of the last and next couple of weeks will result in all of them going their separate ways after the funeral.

Anyway, being unemployed (still) I'll have a lot of time to mull it over and probably too much time to contemplate what next week's funeral will hold. I'm not looking forward to it. Not that you ever do really look forward to funerals, especially as in my experience, they have a tendency to be less about the person who has died and more about the people left behind.


So if I'm a little more ranty than usual, or conversely, a bit quiet, then that's why. And just so you know I'm not going completely morbid on you, observe the fun you can have with a strawberry and a bit of charcoal:

Unfortunately, he got eaten after this photo was taken. He wasn't so smiley after that.

6 comments:

blueskies2day said...

Sorry to hear about your Grandma. I hope you feel better about things soon.

AFC 30K said...

Sorry to hear the news Jo. Not really alot I can add about families apart from the old adage bout being able to choose your friends but not your family...

Reluctant Blogger said...

I'm really sorry to hear about your grandmother. It's horrible the way things like this all seem to happen in succession.

Loved the strawberry.

London-Lass said...

Sorry to hear your bad news Jo :(

PS : I trust the charcoal was flicked off before the strawberry fest ...

pawpads said...

Sorry to hear about your Grandma.

Glad you wiped the smile off the Strawberry ~ they always seem rather smug to me.

theperpetualspiral said...

Sorry about your Grandma Jo :(

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - RSS icons by ComingUpForAir