Sunday, 27 January 2008

WOOF

I graduated (mark II) on Friday, sober and smelling more pleasant than last time (ie. not of vodka, wine etc) and with an extra stripe down my gown to tell everyone that I am a MASTERS student...oh yeah. And because I was special and got a distinction, I even got to shake the chancellor woman's hand on stage and have a conversation with her while the rest of the gathered students and parents looked on in utter AWE. Little did they know that the conversation mainly consisted of:

Her: So, what are you doing now?
Me: I'm working at a hugemungus broadcasting company on this programme.
Her: And what are you doing?
Me: [Blank look] errr
Her: [expectant raise of eyebrows]
Me: [still looking blank] errr...I'm, working...there...
Her: Yes, but what do you do there
Me: [penny drops] Ahhh! I'm part of the production team blah blah
Her: Wonderful, marvellous, brilliant. [Mentions for me to get the fuck off the stage, like NOW...who the hell gave her a masters?]

I thoroughly enjoyed my day. A particular highlight was seeing my good friend, the old mucker PITA (see full story here and here) who was also graduating....wait for it.....on crutches because on the first day / hour of the uni ski holiday this year, she was going too fast and took a rather bad tumble. Eek. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeek that's awkward.

Haha...this is so random...but I'll tell you anyway because it was well funny. Driving through London tonight to drop my boyfriend off (of 2 years as of Monday by the way, WOOP, celeeebrate good times COME ON) and we stopped at some traffic lights, I looked over and in the car next to us there's this kind of bewildered looking old dog in the back seat just staring at me. So I'm like ooh look, dog! and my boyfriend puts the window down and starts barking at it (well actually it was more of a yelp, like "Ruff!") and I'm pissing myself (not literally) because the woman driving clearly has her window open and can hear this bloke barking at her dog. At first she looks a bit pissed off and confused, as you would be if someone was barking at you at some traffic lights...then she realises we're trying to get the dog's attention because it's still just staring at us and looking a bit blank. So my boyfriend's continuing to bark and this woman starts pointing at her ears and shaking her head and laughing as well now, and the dog's still like 'what the fuurrrk is going on' because he's clearly deaf and my boyfriend has chosen to bark at the only deaf dog in a car in North London. So all three of us (not the dog) are all laughing and as she drives off she waves and is still pointing at her ears (like ok, we get it, he's deaf) but I like to think we made her night a little bit and that she probably went home to tell her husband (or sign it to the dog) about what happened on the way home.

Hahahaha. Woof.

Nighty night.

13 comments:

Boy said...

Nice! It's the random things in life that make it worth living. O, and your boyfriend is a nutter :)
Congrats on the dos yearos!!

Ella said...

Congratulations miss distinction!

Bec said...

Congratulations ridiculously intelligent person!

I wonder if the deaf dog's owner has a blog and has written about you - what phrase would you have to search on to find that post?!

Steph said...

lmao. Well, i had a good chuckle at that, and congrats!

James said...

You clever little so and so you...

As for the woman pointing at her ears, I often wonder in these circumstances whether she also has a blog and if so whether she got home and wrote about this lunatic (sorry) lad trying to bark at her deaf dog.

Andy said...

haha thats just made me burst out laughing in work!

Congrats too :)

AFC 30K said...

Yep, congrats on the graduation - I didn't even bother going to my second one... It was a year before I bother sending off for the certificate.

Very amusing about the dog....

London-Lass said...

Oo .. congrats on the extra stripe and also the two years with your boyfriend ... who can I say sounds barking mad. (snort)

Miss Understood said...

I think a big, fat congratulations is in order. Well done!

Great story about the dog. Do you think they can lipread?

Jo said...

boy - I love random things like that. Thanks for congrats. He's a brave bloke to put up with me.

ella - thank you!

bec - thanks! I also wondered the same thing...

steph - thanks!

James - I hope so...if you come across it, let me know ;)

Andy - Hallo, welcome. Hope you didn't get busted. Thanks for the congrats.

Afc - Oh any chance to wear a stupid hat and I'm on it..can't pass it up somehow...

Londonlass - Bahahaha. He did it automatically which was the weird thing. Didn't even PAWS for thought...bahahahaha.

Miss Understood - Thank yoou! And I hope the dog can lipread, because if it can't he's missing out on this in-joke which isn't fun for anyone.

Girl Vino said...

congrats to you!!!!! The barking thing sounds like something I might do....after a bit of vino. We have an asian neighbour who patrols the street on a daily basis. The other day he/she (we haven't quite made up our minds on that one yet) was out and about and stood peering through our fence. Hubs picked up a tennis ball and branded it against the fence right in front of where he/she was standing. I would never do that...and yet, I would bark at a dog!?!?!?!

weenie said...

Congrats on getting yer Masters!

Hannah said...

I bet the dog's not deaf. I bet he's secretly laughing at the mad humans.

Congrats!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - RSS icons by ComingUpForAir