Thursday, 31 January 2008

When Banks Do Nice Things (not that often)

I'm the first person to whinge about banks, especially their frankly imbecilic way of charging you a) without letting you know about it or b) for something you didn't want or need, or my personal favourite, c) when you go overdrawn by a miniscule amount. In my sister's case yesterday, she went overdrawn by 60p for about 10 hours, and she was charged £10 for every hour that she inconvenienced the bank (Abbey). Clearly, my sister borrowing 60p left them penniless and unable to function, and the £60 probably contributed to paying for the coke habit of the three city bankers who were working through the night keeping an eye on such things. Clearly. You know, admin fees...and, err...stuff...yeah...it definitely warranted the inconceivably high penalty fee. By the time she was able to put money in the account, i.e. when she woke up the next day and released all hell unto the bank (Abbey), it took them all of about, ooh...5 minutes to refund all the charges made. In fact, nearly everytime I've been charged by a bank (like Abbey) and have noticed, a sharp phone call to the bank has returned the same results. My feeling is they do it for no other reason than to see if they can get away with it. More often than not, they do. So keep an eye on your accounts and threaten to move all your money if they don't refund the charges. Students - don't bother, it's their money anyway.
 
My experiences of a bank yesterday were quite different. I got a call from my bank telling me that, joy of joys, I had won a prize. My mind went into dream mode, and I envisaged being told that I had won £20,000 (it seemed like a nice, reasonable figure)...I imagined myself accepting gracefully and gushing thanks to the woman down the phone, perhaps giving a quid or two to Battersea Dogs Home. Then, suddenly I had a thought. "Hang on a minute, I haven't entered any competitions". Turned out that everyone who used online banking during December and made a transaction automatically got entered into a prize draw, which I had subsequently won. After a bit of suspense and a little bit of wee coming out, I discovered I was the proud new owner of a....... Selfridges hamper. More food and wine than I can shake a stick at from one of my favourite stores, then. Not bad at all for a transaction or two. With any luck it'll be delivered in time for the weekend and I will return to work on Monday slightly more portly than when I left on Friday.
 
Hurrah for the best things in life being free. Have a good weekend all...feel free to regail me with your own banking WOO's or WOEs. (See what I did there) 

12 comments:

pink jellybaby said...

WOE! my fucking bank is so fucking short of money that they want to charge me £35 for a transfer that will take 10 days. So i'm paying for them being fucking slow and stupid.

Bec said...

NOOOO!!!! Don't get sucked in!!!! This si how they trick you into not complainig... 'They took a large wad of my money for admin fees... I won't complain, they gave me a hamper'!!!

Resist!!!! Resist!!!

At least you know where the money is going now though!

Jo said...

pjb - That's utterly ridiculous - is that a standard charge?? or are you tranferring thousands and millions!?

Bec - Me and my sister are with different banks...my bank is generally ok, apart from the odd discrepancy.

James said...

I'm all for ridiculous charges because it keeps me in free banking, but those nasty ones they don't tell you about that's just not cricket.

I can't believe you won a prize like that. I'm not going to say 'I never win anything like that' because that's what everyone says. But if they didn't and it was a unique thing to say I would probably say it.

Miss Understood said...

I sued my bank last year and got back all I'd paid in charges for the last 6. I was a very happy bunny the day they credited my account!

londongirl said...

Blimey with you and Hannah winning random things it seems it's the week of good luck. Can I win something now?

Clarissa said...

Woohoo! Great luck! I won an Easter hamper from a local Italian restaurant. I would much rather have one from Selfridges!!!! Enjoy!

weenie said...

LOL - hope you're enjoying your hamper you lucky so & so!

I don't have any bank horror stories - I did once phone them once asking them why £1000 had been transferred from my current account to my savings account. They investigated and said that someone with the correct passwords had logged in and made that transaction at 1am on a Saturday...

OOPS - guess I shouldn't do online banking when I've been out on the beer! F knows what I was doing! Maybe I thought I'd hacked into someone else's account...

Boy said...

I hate banks. But kudos on winning! It's always good to know that people do actually win these prizes though!!

London-Lass said...

Congrats on the free hamper you lucky lucky lady :)

I dont actually use a bank - I use a building society instead (yeh get me and me fancy frou frou ways) and my biggest annoyance with them is the fact that their counter staff now try and sell me either a mortgage, home insurance, or a loan EVERY time I pay my salary cheque in. I am due to pay my money in tomorrow and if I hear one mere whiff of an "Ah, madam! Whilst you're here, have you ever thought about ... " I am gonna give them what for.

theperpetualspiral said...

Hampers are fantastic, although don't you find that you end up with a couple of jars that you never get round to eating because you don't know what to do with them?

Reluctant Blogger said...

Hey you're having a good week, aren't you?

congrats on the graduation (sorry I'm a bit late) and on the hamper. I won a Fortnum and Masons hamper once in a raffle and I still have the actual hamper. It's about the only thing I have ever won, come to think about it.

Have a good weekend.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - RSS icons by ComingUpForAir