Thursday, 27 September 2007

All Things Smelly - Pass the JLo...

Oh I am sooooo glad to see that recent polls (err, mine, over there -->) show that celebrity scents are irritating everyone else at the moment. Has anyone actually tried one that smells remotely nice? I'm a bit baffled...I'm guessing these celebs just trot along to a perfume place, go "Oooh, yeah, chuck that in it...Mmmm, ylang ylang and chemicals....it's sooo...ME!" and get a million quid or two? Firstly, I'm not sure that being a celebrity actually guarantees that they'll make a nice smell (bottle or otherwise). I can understand people wanting to look like a celeb, fair enough. Smell like one? Ummmm....I'll pass. Especially Britney, she looks like she hums a bit these days. What about Naomi Campbell....Eau De Obnoxious Eedjit, anyone? Don't even get me started on why someone would want to carry with them the whiff of a common, ex-Big Brother imbecile whose catchphrase was 'I'mmmm minnggginnnnnn'. Eau De Mingar does have a certain ring to it, though. An Elizabeth Duke Argos ring, that is. Of the celebrity perfume explosion, Roja Dove has this to say

"I can only see the celebrity brands growing," he says. "If all the time what we
are being fed on TV is Big Brother and Celebrity Love Island, then this is what
we'll get. Fragrance reflects the era." (Read the rest of the celeb sniff article here)



Let's hope the era stands to be more class than ass in future.

So from utterly rancid smells to altogether nicer freebies received yesterday from Roxy who have just released a new perfume. They emailed me about this and found myself on the receiving end of Roxy perfume, lotions and potions. In return, I'd give my verdict. Seeing as I'm anti-AdWords, currently unemployed and a sucker for a freebie, what else could I say? Try "I'll 'ave summa that".



There's me expecting some little samples but OHHH NO. Try full size perfume, full size moisturiser and full size shower gel to boot which I make as over £60 worth of wonder-smells. So that cheered me up no end especially as I've been feeling a bit dans les dumps the last couple of days. To find out that it actually smelt nice was an added bonus. Come on, we've all got perfume freebies, gone WOOO! and then found out they smell like hedgehog excrement (aka rankus milankus). This one is nice. It didnt make me sneeze and stayed put on my wrists all afternoon. Last night, having slathered myself in the shower gel, and moisturiser, followed by a spritz of the scent itself, I put it through the Ultimate Test. That's right, I walked into the living room where my mother was seated, avidly watching the telly, glass of Prosecco in hand. The nose wrinkled in my direction. It twitched. It leant in for a better sniff. It sat back. Brand agencies throughout the world held their breath. "Ooh. You smell nice."

Well done Roxy, you passed the test.



(PS. To any of my regular girl readers, and the blokes if you like smelling like a girl... I have the email address I can pass on for you to get the same free stuff if you're interested. Gissa shout on comments or email, there's no catch.)

15 comments:

20 something said...

could you send me the email address please? :) you can comment on my blog.

London-Lass said...

Wow .. so the phrase `you dont get something for nothing' has actually been proved wrong for once ...? I'd be tempted to try it but have such sensitive skin (with the ability to look like it's had acid chucked on it if it decides it doesnt want a particular make of scent on it or to grow deep dark green/brown patches when it decides to take a sudden dislike to a particular item of jewellery that I've worn, without hassle, for the last few years) that I'll have to pass. If you, ever, find your way to getting some free vino, or chocolate, instead then I'm yer gal ...

AFC 30K said...

Oh, Oh... Roxy stuff. I'm a big fan of the Roxy Boardriders team...

Wifey is a fan of all stuff Roxy, and so am I when she's in to the Roxy bikini's!

So yes please to the email address...

20 something said...

thank you :) i won't publish the email.

AFC 30K said...

Thanks for the email jo but I created that email address on the sopot and now have no idea what the address was or how to get back in to it.

If I can trust you I'll break my anonymity and email you, all in order to get some free Roxy gear for Wifey...

Jo said...

AFC, haha ok. you can trust me, I'll just use it to send you the email. No identity theft or stalking, I promise.

no probs 20-something...enjoy.

londonlass - Haha I'll keep you in mind should they send any food or wine giftage my way. I'm as shocked as you re: getting something for nothing...it seems publicity and word spreading is enough. I'm not complaining :D

AFC 30K said...

Oh - But I like stalkers.... Wifey once promised that if I ever left her she'd stalk me in a cat suit.

I pointed out that she can't stand the cold and at which point she replied.....

"I'll wear a Puffa catsuit."

"yeah love, just like the Michelin Man but in black then...."

Jo said...

Did she mean cat suit or fat suit? :D

I don't think I'd mind someone stalking me in a fat suit. That'd prove more entertaining than scary. I'd run up and down stairs all day to puff them out.

AFC 30K said...

Oh how she pouted....

It wouldn't have been a fat suit; fat suits are white.

It would have just been a really well insulated skin tight cat suit...

Hannah said...

The thing I object to most about celebrity fragrances? The ads.

Just, WTF is SJP's all about?! Mind boggling.

Beverley said...

Celebrity scents - what a cynical marketing exercise. Must think people are daft.

Miss Understood said...

Oh! Me! Me! Gimme some!
elainedenning2001@yahoo.com

Thanks Jo :)

Steph said...

I work in the cosmetics industry and we get a lot of freebies. It's a great marketing tool, so jump on and get what you can.

Jo said...

Hannah - Oh god I know!! What is the end bit all about where she's like behind bars or something...so unnecessary! Funny how Jade Goody doesn't have an advert for hers ;)

Beverley, there must be a hell of a lot of daft people about thats all I can say...the celeb perfume craze doesn't seem to be letting up so someones gotta be buying the stuff!

Miss - No probs, check thy email

Steph - I most definitely intend to... I've been raiding the Clinique counters this week as they're giving away a free week's sample of the 3 Step soap, clarifying lotion and moisturiser. I've got about 3 sets now and it lasts for ages so I don't need to buy it :D

Lucy said...

please could you send me the email address? =]
my email is

iwannabeajellyblob@hotmail.co.uk

thanks very much =]

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - RSS icons by ComingUpForAir