Monday, 27 August 2007

Bloooooody Ebay!

Why is it the day I need to use ebay to answer questions and the like, it's the only website that's either not loading at all, or taking about 3 minutes to load each page. BAH. How's a girl supposed to sell her handbags?

As I may have mentioned, I use Ebay to purge my wardrobe of undesirables most summers and, up until now, have had no problems and all positive feedback. Even though ebay sells new stuff, it's also used for buying and selling second hand goods. Basically, if you buy something used for £1.50 that should have cost £25, you take a risk. If it's not great, you contact the seller and say 'Oi, you said blah blah and it wasn't, it was rubbish' and if they say 'Have a refund' and you say 'Ok', there's no real need for negative feedback, a deal has been done. If they were an arse about it and were like "Oh no, you fackin slag - you bought - you keep - end of" I'd be like right, bollocks to you...negative feedback all the way. Then again, if the item cost me all of about £3, I'd probably put it down to experience and stop being a pikey.


Anyway, like I said, I've had no problems. This summer I've been ridding myself of a few bits of clothing, namely old jodphurs and riding stuff from ages ago thats been sat in my drawers for years.

So the other week I sell a pair of skinny jodphurs that I wore when I was about 12, which I put through the wash, check for wear and tear, put them up for 99p and they sell for about £4. To my eye I couldn't see anything wrong with them, so I'd written in the description 'Have been worn but are in very good condition'. Buyer pays, I send them the next day, leave buyer positive feedback, that's that.

2 weeks pass. I check my Ebay account, and the girl who won them has left neutral feedback, which, although doesn't affect my 100% rating, is noticable to anyone who buys from me in future.

Woah, woah woah. Hang on, love. That's not Ebay etiquette. If there's a problem, you contact the person and see what they can do to sort it out, namely, give a refund / explain, whatever. That's what you do, because most people are keen to sort out problems, like me. I'm a nice girl just trying to clear my wardrobe, blaaady hell.

As it was, I'm not about to fit into a pair of teeny tiny jodphurs to see if they have holes in them when stretched. Which they invariably did when said buyers fat arse got in them. FACT.


I fire off a message.


Re: the neutral feedback left
Any holes WOULD have been mentioned had I seen
them. As you can see from other 2nd hand jodphurs I have sold, I have been very
honest in the descriptions about wear and tear. They have not been worn by me
for years, so any holes that are visible when being worn would not have been
seen. It is not my intention to be dishonest, and I would have appreciated it
had you contacted me directly instead of leaving neutral feedback automatically;
as I am very keen to resolve any issues and offer refunds to buyers in order to avoid
mistakes such as this. Thanks, Jo.

Silly cow.

Whatever happened to common courtesy, I ask you. That's just not cricket.

16 comments:

James said...

In terms of Ebay etiquette that does seem awfully unfair. Was this person a newbie though?

The reason I ask was that when I first started using Ebay I thought neutral was an okay thing. Like 'neutral' was when the transaction was as expected, 'positive' was only if it was sent super quick or the product was better than described or came with a free £10 note or something.

I find the whole Ebay rating thing very strange because it's really hard to leave a non positive response out of fear of getting one in return. On the few occasions I have not been overly pleased I have just left no rating. I feel I should let others know that this seller/buyer isn't uber good, but you know, you've got to look after your rating (especially when it's just a baby).

Jo said...

No that's the thing, I checked her rating and she had at least 100 transactions to her name, so it's not like she's new to it all. Grrr. My good reputation is tainted!

James said...

Oh I see. bummer.

Probably best to leave feedback once the buyer has left there's in future.

You could of cause keep an eye on her listings and if she sells something really cheap in the future, buy it and then let rip on her feedback warning everyone off her. Possibly an overreaction though. :) How scorned are you feeling?

Venting said...

hmmm... ebay. I've had good experiences and bad. Mostly good. I should start selling more stuff on ebay. It's just not as quick as having a garage sale though...

Jo said...

Oh bladddy hell. Now some blind foreign bat has just bought my handbag and requested it be sent to CYPRUS. For gods sake...that makes the price of postage more than the damn bag! Hence the 'Will dispatch to UK only'...alas...am I the only one who can read?

Miss Understood said...

I think in those circumstances (re: cyprus) you can either re-list it or up the postage price.

I received negative feedback once for an ornament I sold for £40. I bubble wrapped it until it was 10 times bigger than it should have been and got insurance for it too...slapped FRAGILE stickers everywhere...and then the guy who bought it told me it was broken when he received it, taking a photo of it as proof.

Umm...sorry mate...you could have dropped it. The post office could have thrown it around (which is why I got it insured.) Not. My. Problem.

He left awful feedback for me, but I had done everything correctly at my end. I think that was the last time I sold anything.

Stiletto said...

yeah, people apparently do suck these days. I've never put anything up for sale but I have bought something, paid for it and then never heard from the seller again. That sucks even more =P

but one bad feedback wont destroy your reputation, I'm sure you're fine =) (but I can see why it's annoying)

Jo said...

Yeah fear not I'm ready to take on all ebayers who want to mess with my feedback from now on...Lets not forget I have all of their addresses, muhahahaa. Joking, joking...

I quite like hearing people's dodgy ebay stories, there are loads. If anyone's bored, have a look at some very funny feedback:
http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=andy46477&ftab=FeedbackLeftForOthers

Stiletto said...

link not working =(

Jo said...

Copy and paste DIY jobby that one...

London-Lass said...

Stupid cow. I used to get arsewipes like that all the time - I think sometimes people are really just too thick to know (or have enough brain power to learn) the finer nuances of E-Baying and prefer to just leave a rating no matter what. Those little boxes titled `Contact Seller' obviously didnt give her a clue ...

Drama Queen said...

Ohh. That would really annoy me. I am proud of my postive feedback. . .

So is BF, to the point where I plan to buy something and leave negative feedback if he ever does anything horrible to me. :D

Jo said...

Londonlass - Yes, she is a silly cow isn't she. And when you buy 2nd hand riding gear, well its not exactly the sort of sport that doesn't incur wear and tear...bah.

DQ - bahaha...perfect revenge "You hath scorned me! I shall wreck your positive feedback on ebay!"

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Anything but thaaaaaat!

Moggy said...

Yeah,much easier to buy than to sell. Which is why I have no money and rooms full of junk! Had a similar experience - sold a secondhand shirt to a guy in the States, who then wanted his money back. The cost of postage sending the thing back and forth was way more than the cost of the item, so told him to publish and be damned. Idiot.

the boy who likes to... said...

Noted! I'll be careful then when buying your second hand pants. :D

Jo said...

Moggy - hello newcomer, That's what I don't get...if you buy something for cheap and it turns out to be worthy of its price... whose surprised, really? Go to a shop and buy it new... On the other hand, if its stated as 'new with/ without tags' and its clearly not, THEN kick up a fuss...

and Boy, I'll have you know that there are no holes in any of my pants. Or trousers, for that matter!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - RSS icons by ComingUpForAir