Friday, 13 July 2007

A story for the weekend

I was just over at Much Ado where I was regaled with a tail (see what I did there...urrrrrgghh) about the perils of looking after someone elses pet.

It reminded me of something that happened when I was little and desperately wanted a pet rabbit. Now with my dad being a butcher, there were constantly jokes among my parents friends about how any small pet we had would end up in dad's shop the next day, but nevertheless we had a menagerie of horses, dogs and cats none of whom met this sticky end, I hasten to add. So when one of their friends were going away for a couple of weeks and they asked me if I'd like to look after their rather elderly rabbit, I accepted and over it came the day before they were due to fly out. 'Ho ho ho...Yum! Rabbit pie!' joked dad as he went to work that morning. It was a really hot day and as it wore on, I noticed the rabbit was lying on it's side, not really moving and breathing quite heavily. I asked my sister to have a look, and we rang my dad who suggested giving it some more water. Didn't work. Rang him again and he said 'It must be too hot. Run some cold water over it'. So out came the hose. I don't know whether to draw this out any longer, but the long and the short of it is that we hosed it off (gently)...and then it died.

It's owners hadn't even left the country yet.

When we rung them to break the news, not only did we have to explain that the rabbit had died, but also that it was a little bit soggy due to being "hosed off" when we thought it was too hot.

Funny, we've never been asked to look after their little Jack russell dog...

On that note, have a good weekend everyone. I'm off to try and find ze Boyfriendio somewhere in Chelsea.


PS. To those who tagged me in posts this week...I'm just waiting to make new blog friends so I actually have people to tag back. Give me a few months and I'll be on it ;)

2 comments:

London-Lass said...

Aww poor little bunny! And probably a blessing in disguise re. their Jack Russell .. they can create carnage with just one of their little back paws, rapscallion continually jumping hyper little balls of canine goodness that they are! Have a good w/end - I'm off to the chipsters tonight whereupon I shall drink a glass (not a bottle) of wine, and I shall drink it AT him .. hah! That'll teach him.

the boy who likes to... said...

Did you have to break the news to the owners?
I hope your dad didnt offer them some sort of "meat" pie as an apology....yikes.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - RSS icons by ComingUpForAir