Saturday, 31 March 2007

If anyone asks, I don't have a blog

Yesterday my mum came in my room and asked what I was up to, I replied just reading some blogs...this one's quite funny etc etc. Then she asked if I had a blog. Without a hesitation, I answered 'No'.

Why was I so quick to put her off the scent? It's not like I'm talking about anything particularly subversive, illegal or rude...the odd swear word here and there, but hardly anything to rock the boat as it were. I can't put it down to not having confidence in what I write either, everything I say is exactly what I think and I don't really care who disagrees.


I can understand bloggers like girl with a one track mind dealing with mostly sex wanting to keep their identity a secret, although her exposure can't have done her too much harm money wise in the long run as she now has her blog in novel form. Anyway, there's probably more stuff about animal sex than human action in here. Incidentally, google managed to throw up my blog to someone who typed in 'animals having sex' into the search box...which is a little worrying... Anyway, to keep a blog a secret or not? Discuss. Telling your friends and letting them read it, good or bad? Allowing your boyfriend access, success or failure? If its increased readership you're after...why not?

Anywho, following the consumption of 3 bottles of wine between me and a friend last night, I am glad to be taking my hangover to a health farm for a couple of days. Best place for it. Currently trying to work out if my contact lenses are in the wrong eyes or if my vision is just blurry. Ummmm on that note, I leave you.

I return on Tuesday refreshed, pampered, nails done and massaged. Wooppeeee

Bon voyage!

4 comments:

Bec said...

I didn't tell anyone about my blog when I first started (mostly because I was mortified about anyone seeing it on MSN Space) but then after getting my own hosting package and setting up 'Camel in it's current 'glory' I started letting it slip here and there. It always surprises me when someone I know tells me that they've read it.

Of course, then I run bck andsearch the archives to make sure I haven't insulted them!

Bec said...

I didn't tell anyone about my blog when I first started (mostly because I was mortified about anyone seeing it on MSN Space) but then after getting my own hosting package and setting up 'Camel in it's current 'glory' I started letting it slip here and there. It always surprises me when someone I know tells me that they've read it.

Of course, then I run back and search the archives to make sure I haven't insulted them!

Sandra said...

yeah i don't no, i suppose it depends on the content of your blog. i had no problem telling people about mine, i did it as a college project and i was the only one that kept it going. i wouldn't mind anyone reading anything on it.
obviously if you were giving out about someone you'd be hesitant to show them but if you keep your blog to a point then noone should be hurt by it. and even if you do say something about someone then its giving them a hint that they have to work on it.

i think...

Anne said...

It'll only be as difficult as you make it. The more personal stuff and people you mention or reveal in your blog, the more you'll need to tread carefully.

My boyfriend met me through stumbling upon my blog - the first version of my blog had become pretty well known amongst the Tube related blogs out there (as I'm a Tube enthusiast/appreciator/photographer), but this teensy rise to fame meant that people reading my blog became more aware of the people in my life too. After a while, my boyfriend and I had a little falling out over it all - and I've also had fallings out with other bloggers I've met due to stupid things I've put on my blog, but that's all old hat now.

My Father first found my blog by sticking my name into Google (both the pseudonym I'd been using, as well as my real name). I don't get along with most members of my family, so for him to stumble across a website where I'd publicly paraded my whole family around in such a negative light... well... you can only guess what happened next. He'd ordered me to shut the blog down, delete everything etc. etc. and I did... only to resurface a couple of weeks later, under a new domain and whatever.

In the case of the nearest and dearest, you've just got to think about what you say. I always take the policy that with the Internet being the Internet, somebody you know is bound to track you down at some point, so it's best not to give them something they can dig at you for.

At the end of the day, it's all up to you.

Sorry for all the pointless rambling. I stumbled across your blog from the Metro site looking for London Underground blogs and got sucked into your ramblings.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - RSS icons by ComingUpForAir