Saturday, 3 March 2007

Hot Fuzz...why oh why weren't you funnier?

Ok so the verdict on Hot Fuzz is......dum dum durrr....it's ok. I laughed in (some of) the right bits, some bits were very funny, but then other bits were too obviously done to be funny. As you'll probably gather, I'm not one for reiterating what the film was about; if you want to find that out then check out the film's website. Anyway, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost of Spaced and Shaun of the Dead fame star in this cop film spin off that on the one hand shouted 'don't take me seriously' and on the other yelled 'but we still want to pay homage to our favourite cop films', and it's a mix I'm not sure they've pulled off all that well. In that sense, I could appreciate what it was trying to do; mash in as many references to other police / crime films as possible and get a laugh, but it just came across as trying too hard to be funny whereas Shaun of the Dead seemed more effortless in its comedy. Don't get me wrong, I'm aware that it's a popular choice at the moment - my boyfriend loved it, most of the cinema appeared to be laughing in all the right places as well, it's just I doubt it will be a film that will go down in the spoof film all time classics list with the Scary Movies of the world. It seems that all too often I'm going to the cinema and thinking, at some point before the film's conclusion, 'Hmmm...Surely this must end soon...' and this film was no exception. It could have ended about half an hour earlier than it did and what should have been a choppy fast moving and well, extremely funny film began to drag towards the end.

Two weeks ago a Sunday Times critic said of Hot Fuzz: 'it's not as funny as it should be' and with this I am inclined to agree. Hot Fuzz is the over done spoilt younger sibling that will never match up to its sister's reputation.

No comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - RSS icons by ComingUpForAir