Friday, 23 February 2007

Stensils and Graffiti

I'm a fan of Banksy's work. Whenever I'm around London and I see his work (Shoreditch, Brick Lane, Old Street are the places you're most likely to spot it) it makes me stop and look. Like this one I saw while out in Old Street over the summer:





Some of it's like social commentary, he taps into something that goes on seemingly unnoticed but is actually quite disturbing when looked at in an objective way, or in his case, when it's stensiled onto a wall. His work causes controversy because it is, at the end of the day, graffiti and therefore illegal, and also because in many underground circuits he's not actually that respected. He's seen as commercial...a sell out...not at all innovative...blah blah and yes I'm sure there's a million different reasons that he's not down with all the hardcore kids any more in the eyes of some people. But for the average person, such as myself (ahem) I think it's a damn sight better than most of the crap that gets put on walls and ad boards. I'd happily paint over the meagre scribblings and 'woz ere's' covering much of London's streets in favour of some of Banksy's work. Seeing as I'm putting up a bit of his work, I'm going to urge you all to check out his website www.banksy.co.uk/outdoors/index.html for some more of his stuff, there's quite a poignant manifesto section and check out the mail section as well for some amusing reading.

But this one caught my eye when browsing his site yesterday, I think it says a lot about the reality of the images we see on the news every day.





Anyway, I'll leave you with that one...I'm interested in what people think though so let me know your opinions, if you have any.

No comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - RSS icons by ComingUpForAir